Planning An Overseas Holiday Pt 2.

I’ve been spending a little bit of time planning our US trip (for the end of the year) lately, and I thought I’d share with you what I’ve been up to. The first thing I did after my first ‘broad scale’ planning session, was to write a step by step to-do list of all of the things I would need to plan. And here it is –

Finalize Travel Dates
Research Flight Costs
Solidify Budget
Research Accommodation
Select exact dates per city and research travel between cities
Write to-do list per city
Research to-do list items (cost etc.)
Check Visa requirements etc.
Research weather during travel times
Write packing list (general)
Organise housesitter etc.

So our travel dates have been mapped out, and we have a rough idea of how much our flights are going to cost. At this stage we’re tossing up between two airlines (mostly because Sebastian didn’t have a great experience with one of our options on his recent trip overseas), and once that’s been decided we can start looking at booking things officially. I solidified my own budget, and have a savings plan in place. I’m now at the stage where I’m researching accommodation. Did you know accommodation in New York City is ridiculously expensive? Well it is. I haven’t started looking at Washington DC just yet, but I’ve been told that it will be on-par with New York as far as accommodation and food pricing goes. At this stage, it’s looking like Distrikt Hotel will be the go for us in New York. We can get a 20% discount if we book early, BUT it’s a non-refundable booking, which is a huge downfall. Decisions, decisions.

10 Thoughts on “Planning An Overseas Holiday Pt 2.

1. missionista on March 19, 2015 at 9:57 am said:

Hi, I live in NYC. Have you considered any air b-n-b listings? A friend had really good luck with one when he came here. Hotels are ridiculous!

• Jessica on March 29, 2015 at 10:56 am said:

Hi! We are considering air bnb as an option. At this stage I think we’ll split our time and rent somewhere via air bnb in Brooklyn – to give us a mixed experience in the city πŸ™‚

2. Stephanie on March 19, 2015 at 2:45 pm said:

Hi, not sure if you have considered it, but we went to NYC in May last year and rented a 1-bedroom apartment in the West Village using Air BnB. Aside from saving ourselves a chunk of cash, it was such a great place to stay and we really felt we got a real NYC experience.

I’d highly recommend it – when we head back to NYC we will definitely be renting a private apartment again. πŸ™‚

• Jessica on March 29, 2015 at 10:55 am said:

Hi Stephanie, yes it’s something we’re considering! At this stage the price point is around the same, whether we’re in a hotel or an apartment – so that’s something I’m looking into πŸ™‚

3. I’m in the early stages of planning a trip to NYC/CHI in Oct.

Do you know which area you’re planning on staying in? Will you be posting any posts in the future about planning your trip? Any ideas shared would be fantastic!

• Jessica on March 29, 2015 at 10:54 am said:

I’ve not settled on an area that we’re going to stay in at this stage, but it’ll be relatively central. Although, we are considering splitting our time and spending a few days in Brooklyn too. I’ll keep you posted! I’ll be posting more about my planning for sure, but I’ve been to New York before so if you have any specific questions just let me know!

4. You should consider Air BnB in NYC. I’ve been twice and used Air BnB both times. Way cheaper and way nicer. Also good way to cook for yourself and save some dollars πŸ™‚ We generally cooked ourselves one meal a day! Also used Air Bnb in San Fran, LA & Vegas. Totally worth researching into before you book hotels!

• Jessica on March 29, 2015 at 10:52 am said:

I’ve been looking at a few Air BnB places, but they all seem to cost about as much as a hotel in the areas we’re thinking of staying in. And if we stay in a hotel we get the room cleaned daily, and don’t have to worry about key handovers etc. So it’s something I’m debating. We’re thinking about splitting our time and spending a few days staying in Brooklyn, as the Air BnB places there are far more affordable!

5. I may be a bit unusual in that I love the research and planning stages of a holiday. It builds my anticipation and lengthens the enjoyment I get out of the holiday!

• Jessica on March 29, 2015 at 10:44 am said:

I love it too, I find that researching and planning out the trip (rather than having a fly by the seat of your pants approach) really helps to get the most out of a holiday.